Sunday 17 January 2016

Slip into French & Sons


There is something comforting about French's shoe shop. This wonderful sign is the hallmark of quality in the smart little parade of shops in Bedford Place, Southampton. Rather like St Paul's in London, as long as French & Sons is still standing, everything will be alright.

French & Sons have been making shoes since 1794 and the current store is run by an 8th generation French. They moved into their fine Bedford Place premises in 1890 and this shop is still the first port of call for solid school shoes and slippers for maiden aunts.

I remember being dragged here for sensible school shoes when I’d much rather have been shopping at Dolcis (RIP). The shoes I came out with were inevitably plain, brown and dull. Nowadays, however, I confess to thinking “Ooh, they look comfy” when I walk past their window – surely a sign of age.

Check them out www.wjfrenchandson.co.uk.